I happened to read this article while eating lunch at Bryant Park a couple of days ago. It has some great tips on how to wear mixed prints this season:
1. Vary the scale. Mix a small neat print with a splashier one. Or an eye-popper with one that’s more neutral.
2. Stay within the same color family.
3. Mix up the fabrics, the weights — a rough-textured fabric with a more refined one. Somehow a nubby, slubby fabric pairs up more naturally with a flat weave than do two smooth-textured fabrics.
4. Toss in some polka dots, stripes or even leopard prints, which are easier to mix with other patterns because they’re simple and graphic. And they’re familiar to the eye.
5. Consider the accessories. Though it’s fun to tote a print bag with a print frock, you can tone down the brights with a great tan leather bag or pair of sandals. Straw works, too.
"the profusion of hothouse colors and patterns popping up on new york streets this month suggests a new buoyancy, as women shake off the constraints of a lingering recession and stock up on fashions more lively and vivid than they’ve seen in years."