Saturday, April 24, 2010

MOMA: Tim Burton Exhibit

I've been on the prowl to score tickets to this exhibit for a while, but they've be sold out for months! HOWEVER, they offered a limited supply of first come first serve tickets today. I forced a couple of my friends to wake up super duper early to beat the crowd. Needless to say, that did not happen and there were loads of artsy hipsters sporting stripes, swirls, and loads of black! As I anxiously waited in line, I annoyed Lauren, Diana, and Michael with tons of facts about the genius behind escapism. I wore one of my favorite items in my wardrobe... my lucky brand mood ring. As we got closer and closer to the exhibit, my ring bursted with deep shades of blue signifying how happy I was. I am completely obsessed with his work! Unfortunately, we weren't permitted to take photos, but I did purchase a book showcasing some of Burton's unreleased artwork. Besides having to view his work in the congested room filled with about 300 people, the exhibit was truly inspiring. Throughout the venue, you are able to view Burton's sketches, notes, paintings, dolls, movie props, film clips, sculptures and more! It couldn't have been any more perfect not including the overflow of tourists and fans. On the bright side, I plan on purchasing "The Art of Tim Burton" on steelespublishing.com for $69.99:

The Art of Tim Burton is the definitive compilation of forty years of Tim Burton's artistry, including film concepts and hundreds of illustrations from his personal archives, edited under the creative guidance of Burton himself. This comprehensive 434 page book is grouped into thirteen chapters that examine common themes in Burton's work, from his fascination with clowns to his passion for misunderstood monsters, to his delight in the oddities of people. Many of Burton's friends and collaborators offer their thoughts, insights and anecdotes about Tim Burton's style and artistic approach to life.

Sadly, this exhibit ends April 26th, but below you will find a couple of the snapshots I was able to take & some I found searching the net. Enjoy!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: