Sunday, April 25, 2010

Why Blythe?

I noticed a lot of my friends have no idea what blythe dolls are. And more importantly, they are curious to why I have one tattooed on my leg! So without further ado, here is the lowdown!

Blythe [pronounced bl-eye-th] dolls, which were modeled from Margaret Keane artwork, were produced in 1972 by Kenner toys here in the USA. However, due to lack of popularity, blythe dolls were pulled off the shelves that same year. Several years later, Gina Garen took thousands of photos of her blythe doll all over the world. "In 2000, Gina published her first book of Blythe photography with Chronicle Books, This is Blythe. In 2001, Hasbro (the Trademark and License owner) gave Takara of Japan a license to produce the New Edition of Blythe (Neo Blythe)...The success in Japan led Hasbro to issue a license to Ashton-Drake Galleries in 2004 to sell Blythe replica dolls in the United States, where the doll became a niche product in a marginal market, selling largely to adults. In spring 2009, Alexander McQueen launched a fashion line for Target with an ad campaign featuring Blythe dolls" Ever since, blythe dolls have become a sensation not only through customization, but through art and photography.

I discovered Blythe's when wandering on flickr and I feel in love instantly. I was amazed at the community of enthusiasts all around the world. I find it ironic that I'm interested in such a doll because when I was younger I was much more of a tomboy. Unfortunately, these dolls are super expensive and my college pockets can not afford these babies! I'll get one sooner or later.

Anywho, as I assisted just about every single fashion show in Charlotte last year, I finally found my niche. Majority of the shows demanded that you wear black and I hate wearing all black so I began fusing elements together to create one of a kind adornments. Pretty much making things out of nothing to accessorize my plain ensembles. Some of my friends referred to me as a DIY genie. I guess you can say my tattoo marks the start of my career. My tattoo actually isn't even completed yet, I will post the final pictures once I get some extra cash to splurge on my little lady! BTW her name is Giselle and she's modeled from the work of Blonde Blythe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Speaking of tattoos, here are some of my random flickr faves

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Via flickr & wikipedia

No comments: